16 April 2010

Reference point

I read this during my lunch break today. I'm posting it here, because I think it will be important for me to have as a reference point. Each time I find myself craving ice cream, I will reread these words: "Dairy products are a health hazard. They contain no fiber or complex carbohydrates and are laden with saturated fat and cholesterol. They are contaminated with cow's blood and pus and are frequently contaminated with pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics. Dairy products are linked to allergies, constipation, obesity, heart disease, cancer, and other diseases.

The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it can cause anemia, allergies, and insulin-dependent diabetes and in the long-term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease, America's number one cause of death.

And dairy products may actually cause osteoporosis, not prevent it, since their high-protein content leaches calcium from the body. Population studies, backed up by a groundbreaking Harvard study of more than 75,000 nurses, suggest that drinking milk can actually cause osteoporosis," (taken from www.milksucks.com).

In all of my back and forth regarding fish, I've failed to mention (or really much notice) that I have been off eggs and dairy for more than a full week. It wasn't even that bad, really. I ate soy yogurts each day for several days straight, but am reconsidering them now. I like them and all, but the processed yogurts are sure to have an enormous amount of sugar in them, right? I will have to do some serious label reading when I get to the grocery store this weekend.

Food update for the day
Breakfast: English muffin with vegan margarine and cherry preserves; banana; coffee with stevia and almond milk
Lunch: vegan pad thai with red peppers; 4 ounces Thai baked tofu; grapefruit
Snack: cucumbers and kalamata olive hummus; apple; fruit leather
Dinner: "Dirty Diapers," made by my sister-- white rice, vegetarian chili and corn; Shiraz; two clementines
Snack: strawberries; Silk chocolate soy milk; whole fruit bar popsicle; herbal tea

I missed getting to the gym tonight because of horrible traffic on the way home. I hardly felt right about postponing dinner when Krystin had already worked so hard to have it ready-- and since we originally had appointments scheduled for 7:00 PM: no gym. Am considering going now, though-- there isn't really a valid reason I can't spend 30 minutes walking on the treadmill, even after having a glass of wine two hours ago. :)

No comments: