22 April 2010

I like the idea

I promised to come clean about the cleanse, so here I am.

I love the idea of cleanses, in theory. I like the idea of detoxing, and of helping my body to reset itself in some way. But I'm aware how very unhealthy most cleanses are. That one reason I was so taken by the raw fruit and vegetable cleanse suggested by The Vegan Next Door. I could still nourish my body, but it was an opportunity to get rid of the extraneous stuff for a day.

Here's what I ate:

Strawberries
A champagne mango
green tea
HUGE fruit smoothie with blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and spinach
Yellow bell pepper
Red bell pepper
Green bell pepper
2 carrots
pineapple
avocado

In honest truth, I felt great-- my energy levels were strong all day, I wasn't even hungry really. I did have some serious acid-y reactions, though. By the time I left work for the day, I was having some serious heartburn-- and I was worried about teaching a 2 1/2 hour presentation in class. But I didn't realize that until after I'd left work, and I didn't have anything more substantial than more produce in the car. I started worrying about it, and I panicked-- I ate the first thing I came across, which unfortunately was an un-vegan cream cheese frosted cupcake. :(

I also ate some spaghetti with marinara sauce, and after class went out for vegetarian tortilla soup with a green salad (and a yummy caipirinha). I needed food, and I felt much better after I had it. So-- cleanses of any sort are probably not for me. I'll just have to work on cutting out the sugar, white flour and un-nutritional foods while focusing on eating whole grains and whole produce. I can do that-- so long as there are no cupcakes involved. ;)

No comments: