24 April 2010

Back in the game

I have not had a good exercising week. Somehow-- in the middle of yoga last Saturday-- I threw out something in my lower back. By the end of the class, I was in such visible pain that the instructor told me to lie down with my knees raised and to not move for about half an hour.

I had a fabulous massage that afternoon, and helped relieve the pain in my back greatly. It also left me very, very sore-- on Sunday I had muscle aches in places I wasn't sure I had muscles. I took it easy on my body for most of the week, partly because I was sore, and partly because I was afraid of hurting my back again.

This morning a student group I sit on the board of walked in the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. It was a nice, leisurely 5 miles-- and I held up pretty well. I started to feel a twinge in my hip toward the end of the walk, but it's gone away as the day progressed. I'm glad to have done it, and am feeling pretty confident about getting back in the game, so to speak. Tomorrow, yoga in the morning, work, then class at night. I have lunch and dinner already packed (my sister made a yummy stir-fry tonight, so I'll take leftovers of that and some of the minestrone soup I made this evening to get me through the week).

Breakfast: soy yogurt; cranberry vegan muffin; tangerine
Snack: apple
Lunch: very dissatisfying grilled veggie sandwich from a local cafe; fruit cup; mango iced tea
Dinner: veggie stir-fry with sprouted tofu over brown rice; two Marble Wildflower Wheat beers; smoothie with black cherries, peaches and spinach; grapefruit

No comments: