04 February 2011

A way to celebrate


We're on our third snow day of the week here in Albuquerque. No one can remember the last time the city was this cold. nor the last time the University closed for three days in one week. Personally, I'm looking for a way to celebrate.

I moved to New Mexico from the East Coast as a way to prevent my obligatory before-40 heart attack. Living here is a way to help myself learn to slow down-- and it worked, for a little while. But somehow I got caught back up in the hustle and the bustle this fall: I work two 20 hour/week jobs, sit on the boards of two student organizations, and volunteer with two professional organizations in town. Last semester, I worked 7 days/week most weeks. When I wasn't working, it was due to traveling (seven separate trips back to the East Coast last year?!), or due to illness-- most likely illness brought on by my hectic, stress-filled lifestyle.

Given this awareness, I have now come to recognize that this is my tendency-- even if I carve out time in my life, I will fill it (and quickly!) if I am not constantly vigilant against the over-scheduling. One week ago tomorrow, I gave my notice at the more stressful of my part-time jobs. That's an additional 20 hours of time every week I have just reclaimed. UNM responded by giving me three days off this week-- and I am looking for a way to celebrate both my increase in free time, and the early reprieve given to me this week. :) An impromptu dinner with friends and a homemade chocolate cake sounds about right.

Chocolate Cherry Cake (adapted from The Witchy Kitchen)

Ingredients (Cake)
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
heaping 1/4 cup dried cherries

-- Ingredients (Glaze)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 tbsp. vanilla almond milk

-- Method (Glaze)
1. Combine powdered sugar and cocoa in a small bowl; stir until well combined.
2. Add vegetable oil and milk; stir well with a fork until smooth and combined.


Method (Cake)
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Coat an 8"x8" glass dish with oil or cooking spray.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Stir well.
3. Create a well in the center of dry ingredients. Add yogurt, vegetable oil, coconut milk, vanilla extract and red wine vinegar.
4. Stirring slowly, work from the center out to mix all ingredients together. Continue gently stirring until mixture is uniformly combined.
5. Toss cherries with a scant amount of flour, to coat. Incorporate into batter.
6. Pour into prepared baking dish.
7. Bake in center rack 28 -- 33 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. While cake cools, prepare glaze.
9. Invert cooled cake onto another dish; re-invert onto a serving dish, so that the top of cake is face up.
10. Pour glaze over cake; decorate with cherries if desired.

Enjoy-- preferably with a glass of sparkling wine and great friends.

1 comment:

Tammy Duran said...

This looks delish, I can't bake to save my life.