19 February 2011

It's a start

I have been slowly incorporating more fish into my diet-- I feel healthier when I eat it regularly, so I'm going to go with that for now.

Tonight, tilapia was on sale, and I almost always want piccata sauce. (What can I say, I'm a sucker for pickled capers.) A bunch of kale was wilting in the fridge.... put these things together, and you get dinner.

I have to admit, this sauce needs some work. The flavors came together nicely, but the consistency was too thick, and led to an overall heavier dish than I'd intended. It's a start-- albeit one that needs improvement quickly. Any ideas how to fix this? I think I might try less flour next time....

Piccata Sauce with Tilapia and Kale

Ingredients
3 tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 3/4 cup vegetable stock
juice of one lemon
2 tbsp capers with juice
1 cup white wine
Salt and white pepper
1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
2 fillets tilapia

Method
1) Melt butter over medium heat-- add garlic and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes.
2) Add flour and olive oil to pan; whisk until incorporated.
3) Keep whisk moving; add vegetable stock and lemon juice to pan. Stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
4) Add capers and wine, stir well.
5) Taste sauce; season with salt and white pepper as needed.
6) Stir kale into sauce. When well incorporated, add tilapia fillets to dish. Turn fish to coat with sauce; cover and let simmer 5 minutes.
7) Enjoy!

No comments: