26 October 2007

A gentle introduction, in the morning

I am not what you'd call a morning person. Truth be told, I loathe the bleat of the alarm clock with a passion generally reserved for the extraordinary-- and this comes from an enthusiastic, passionate person. Working two jobs does not help this hatred. Most mornings, I crawl out of bed and pull myself into the shower, barely making it through the routine and to my office before the day's begun.

This morning, however, was different. This morning there were muffins.



muffins in pan, originally uploaded by swirls & morsels.


Katy laughed when I told her I planned to bake before work. She knows me well enough to understand that morning and productivity do not coalesce in my vocabulary. In fact, they're rather snobbish strangers-- each turning away and ignoring the other's existence. This morning I gently introduced them; the result has left me energized and satisfied since.



yogurt honey muffin, originally uploaded by swirls & morsels.


Yogurt Honey Muffins
adapted from Baking: easy-to-make great home bakes

4 tbsp butter
5 tablespoons thin honey
1 cup plain yogurt
1 large egg, at room temperature
grated rind of one lemon
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

-- Melt butter and honey in saucepan. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.

-- Whisk together egg, yogurt, lemon rind and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Add the butter and honey mixture.

-- In a separate bowl, sift together all dry ingredients.

-- Fold the dry ingredients and walnuts into the yogurt mixture.

-- Fill lined muffin pan two-thirds full. Bake in 375 degree oven until muffins spring back when lightly pressed. This should be about 20 -- 25 minutes. Serve warm, or at room temperature.

No comments: